Friday, January 22, 2021

Seattle Girl on Cape Cod: Living Like a Gypsy in These Unprecedented Times. We are RAMBLING ON!

Hello fellow EARTHLINGS,

How are you on this fine Friday night?

 I'm living like a gypsy in these unprecedented times. It wasn't planned. It's the cards I was dealt, but I couldn't have asked for a better hand.

 I think I may have made lemonade out of lemons. Somehow I'm living my dream life out here on Cape Cod, 

 I've always been a wanderer. I've lived an entire life of adventure.

"One day you will settle down." I've heard these words over and over again as each decade has passed, and yet I'm still on the road.

And I'm so grateful where I've landed.

I'm grateful that I have always been open to "whatever is next." Life is unpredictable with many twists and turns. I think it becomes a lot more enjoyable when I LET GO of the reigns or at least loosen up on them a bit and see where this life wants to take me. Of course I have my own intentions, dreams and ideas, but flexibility has been a key ingredient in navigating this thing called life. 

 I'm not sure I've always sought out the gypsy life, perhaps it's sought out me? I have always been open to it. When the pandemic hit, I was living at my parents' house in Sequim while they were snow birding down in Arizona. Eventually they returned in May, and I needed to find a place to go. I had been looking for a place to buy on the Olympic Peninsula and nothing panned out. I made offers on houses, but it wasn't in my cards.  I'm now 51, and I still don't have a house of my own. I could curse the universe for giving me a gypsy life, but I've decided to embrace it. 

Truth be told, one part of me longs for a cat and a home that is all my own, but a bigger part of me LOVES, absolutely loves the life I have.

You know what's funny, just as I'm loving this life in front of me, I have a strange feeling, a premonition if you will, that I WILL find that house and cat. I see myself sharing this lovely home with my boyfriend Scott. It always happens that way, doesn't it?  When you let go and open, what wants to come in usually does. 

 We thought we'd have to move out of this house at the end of November. The owner had winter renters and we couldn't stay past December 1st, so we thought.

But the house sold in September while we were in the house, so we were meant to be the last renters. All the winter renters on the books had to find something else.

Then the deal fell through. The house didn't sell.

 Now the owner was without renters for the winter, so we asked if we could stay through the spring. The owner agreed.

But it JUST SOLD AGAIN! The new owners close on April 20th. 

WE LOVE THIS HOUSE! 

But I don't know if we've loved it enough to buy it and it was out of our price range anyway. 

However, we had a very good run here. We got to stay in a HUGE house right by the beach from mid-September to April.

We've loved the short walk down the shell path to the glorious bay where we've watched dozens of sunsets, swum in the warm waters, collected shells and rocks, kayaked, star-gazed, moon-gazed, kissed.

 We've loved our home and cooking up a storm in the huge kitchen or sitting out on the back deck on a sunny day with appetizers and a cool drink or gazing at a meteor shower from the upper deck. 

We've enjoyed crock-pot soups on fall nights, and our first snow here and decorating for Christmas. We've loved movies in the sweet living room and eating fresh Wellfleet oysters from down the street. We've loved everything about this place. I've loved teaching my college classes upstairs in my office nook and Scott's loved his contracting job on the Lower Cape. He's loved coming home, showering, grabbing a bite to eat and then wandering down the path to the beach for sunset. It's so peaceful here. There's no light pollution. There are so many stars. Nature is wild. There are foxes, and coyotes, and wild turkeys and old graveyards with pilgrims from the Mayflower in them and fish shacks and beach knick knacks. 

And now it's time to go.

But we aren't ready to leave. 

WE AREN'T READY TO LEAVE! 

There, I said it. 

So I found another house 10 minutes away. It is equal in size and charm and close to a swimming pond and First Encounter Beach. It's got a deck and lots of rooms and it's near the bike path. I'm EXCITED about this new adventure down the street. Yes, new adventures can even happen DOWN THE STREET!!! I'll be sad to leave this house, but we stayed longer than we expected to.

And so this new chapter starts on April 1 and ends on June 19. Summer on the Cape is outrageous. Prices go up 10 times. We don't know where we will go come June. We don't know.

But we have from January 22-June 20th. We have at least 5 more months....at least! We've bought ourselves more time here. We want to feel the spring come around the bend. Watch the flowers bloom. Take a dip in the pond down the road from our new abode. Watch the sky get lighter and lighter as the days get longer and longer. We aren't done with this beach town yet.

A year on Cape Cod. 

Give me a year on Cape Cod so I can taste every season. I want to feel it all. This gypsy is hanging out for awhile here. The winds of change have only blown us down the street. The Nor-easter didn't even drive us out. 

We are here to stay for now. Yes, this gypsy is staying put....and loving EVERY SECOND of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment